If you are ill at work, you stay home. It makes sense of course, why would you go to work when you
are not very well? But if you are a SAHM, a sick day is usually just not an option. Now I am very lucky
as my parents live close by so they can often help me if I am stuck, but this week my mother was also sick
and so there was no option of any additional help. I was sick and I still had to look after four children
and of course it just had to be half term week and so there was no school for anyone. It has been a
long week and I have struggled so I thought I would share some of the ideas I came up with for
making it easier being a mummy when you are feeling ill.
- 1. Craft time - you will need to do the planning and organisation and of course oversee it, but
- if you keep this to a minimum mess craft activity such as doing a collage, then it is fairly easy
- and not too labour intensive. The good thing about a craft is that they are sitting down and
- will be in one place meaning you can sit down too…
- 2. Pyjama Day – make it seem like a treat to all stay in your PJs and hunker down for the day.
- You could let them make a den with their duvet covers and then take books in and do some
- reading, giving you some valuable quiet time and the chance to lie down in that den.
- 3. Burn off their energy – if you have a safe and contained garden you can let them outside to
- burn off some of their energy and have some fun.
- 4. Movie Time - settle down on the sofa for the afternoon and rent them a movie or even head
- out to the cinema if you are well enough.
- 5. Relax screen time rules - my children have been allowed to play on their xbox this week.
- They are usually limited to weekend only play and then only for a short time, but this week
- all bets were off and I let them play for a bit most days just to keep two of them occupied so
- I could rest a bit.
- 6. Classes – as it was school holidays during this week I was able to book my boys into a holiday
- club for 3 mornings so that they were getting all of the physical and outdoor activity they
- needed when I was not well enough to be getting them out and about as we usually would.
- During term time you could think about doing trial classes for some activities if you are not
- feeling great so that the kids can still get active even if you can’t.
- 7. Play Doh - this stuff is great if you are a mummy feeling ill as it is typically a very contained
- activity giving you a chance to sit and if your kids are anything like mine they just love it. My
- children can spend hours creating and imagining with playdoh
- 8. Play doctors – we have a little doctors play set and my kids love it so what better than lying
- on the sofa being their patient when I felt ill
Our week has been less than perfect will me being ill and I know that they haven’t had their usual
experience of a school holiday, but I know I did the best I could and that using these ideas helped me
to still be mummy whilst also allowing myself to recover from a nasty cold and throat infection. If
you are a mummy feeling ill then I hope you feel back to yourself soon as it is no fun!