Sensory Play Ideas
If you have a little one then I am sure you have heard the words “sensory play” a few times. Sensory play is important for infants, as it encourages them to explore on their own while also stimulating their senses.
I’ve put together a list of my favorite sensory play activities for one year olds.
- Homemade Kinetic Sand - create homemade Kinetic Sand by adding a cup of corn meal, a cup of flour, 2TBSP of water and 2 TBSP of oil (any kind). I like to add different items to the sand - like play sea creatures for Olivia to dig for.
- Painting with water - simple and mess free (my two favorite things). Give your little one a paint brush, water, and construction paper, and let them go to town.
- Painting in a bag - put paper, and different colors of paint inside a ziplock bag to let your little one finger paint without a mess.
- Finger painting with food - If you’re feeling messy put apple sauce on paper and let your little one finger paint this way. I use food instead of paint because Olivia still loves to eat everything! This activity is great for snack time.
- Pompoms - there are so many sensory activities to do with Pompoms. My favorite is color sorting. I make sure to get different packages so Olivia had all different shades of the same color when we are sorting. She loves the feeling of the pompoms and I love getting in color practice.
Sensory play can be done with simple house held items - no need to go out and buy things but it is a great way for babies to play and explore what is around them.
What are your favorite sensory play activities?